Innovative and hands-on, students are engaged through activities that inspire new interests in electronics, circuits and basic coding.
Experiment, code, innovate and create like never before.
In this wonderfully engaging 90-minute STEM incursion, every student gets a buzz as they are introduced to electronics, circuits and basic coding. Using a range of hands-on and targeted activities, students explore the basics behind solar energy, conductors, insulators and other components that make up the various kinds of circuits we find in common appliances. Students are also instructed in basic coding as they program Sphero’s to work through team obstacle course challenges. Students will be challenged to think critically, make their predictions and observations with terminology, keywords and equipment differentiated to match each year level.
By adapting this incursion to suit your focus needs, our qualified teachers will guide all students through each learning activity, prompting them to predict, investigate, communicate and reflect along the way.
Scope of Learning Outcomes
Together we’ll select the learning outcomes that best suit your class and grade level curriculum requirements. Examples include;
- Identify and describe the properties and behaviour of various electrical components.
- Understand the basic properties of solar energy.
- Investigate the construction and design of simple machines.
- Apply basic coding.
- Discuss prior knowledge of solar energy, coding and electronics.
- Conduct various STEM activities and observe critical outcomes.
- Communicate and discuss various observations and make conclusions.
- Apply logic, planning and positive reinforcement in achieving task goals.
Incursion Information & Requirements
- Duration – 90 minutes. This will be structured around your bell times.
- Group size – 33 students maximum per session (approximately).
- Space requirements – An unfurnished hall is required
- Equipment requirements – 7 trestle tables (or the equivalent) is ideal.
- Booking requirements – A minimum 75% deposit made 7 days before the date of booking.
- Setup time – We will arrive one hour before the start time to set up.
- Teacher presence – Teachers must be present during the session.
Our qualified teachers have designed all incursions to be adaptive and differentiated so that each learning outcome aligns with Victorian, New South Wales and Australian Curriculum requirements.
Cannot See Your Focus Links?
Should your curriculum or key learning area not be listed here, please give us a call. One of our qualified teachers would be happy to make the adjustments required to meet your needs.