Grow your students’ understanding of construction and engineering in this unique, practical experience that offers a challenging, yet rewarding outcome.
Use creative and critical thinking to determine the process of building and designing a Billy Cart.
In this hands-on incursion, students work in teams to use their knowledge of design, construction and engineering, to build and test a Billy Cart. Students consider the order and process of assembling the cart, while collaborating and problem solving in a supportive environment. We make this easy for you by providing the Billy Cart kits, tools and of course, the know-how!
For many students, this will be their first experience using woodshop tools, inviting them into a new world of design. Through reflection, students will recognise strengths and areas of growth within themselves and the team, ensuring everybody has a role to play.
This is a 120 minute incursion, or ask us about adapting it into an ongoing project over multiple weeks. Our qualified teachers can adjust the focus to suit your students’ interests and needs.
Scope of Learning Outcomes
Together we’ll select the learning outcomes that best suit your class and grade level curriculum requirements.
- Assess personal and team strengths
- Discuss strategies that can be used to cope with challenging tasks
- Consider materials, tools and equipment through the process of design
- Develop criteria for success and evaluate design ideas, process and solutions
- Investigate and discuss the interactions between forces and movement.
- Work in teams to analyse and discuss design principles of a Billy Cart
- Construct a Billy Cart using a variety of tools and fastenings
- Apply theoretic knowledge in a practical manner by test driving the newly built vehicle
- Celebrate teams’ success in a competitive race.
Incursion Information & Requirements
- Duration – 120 minutes
- Group size – 42 students maximum per session
We recommend one Billy Cart kit per 4-6 students
- Space requirements – An unfurnished hall, one table per 4 students plus one extra
- Parking- Onsite parking is essential. Please provide us with the address of nearest gate access
- Booking requirements – A minimum 75% deposit is required within 7 days of booking the incursion
- Setup time – We will arrive one hour before the start time to set up
- Teacher presence – Teachers must be present during the session.
Our qualified teachers have designed all incursions to be adaptive and differentiated so that each learning outcome aligns with Victorian and Australian Curriculum requirements.
Cannot See Your Focus Links?
Should your curriculum or key learning area not be listed here, please give us a call. One of our qualified teachers would be happy to make the adjustments required to meet your needs.