Hands-on, toy-based learning explores the stories, facts, technology and design of a range of iconic toys.
Spark a love of history through exploring the origins of some of the toys that make us.
What better way to demonstrate the connection between history, the present day and the future than with this time travelling 90-minute play-based learning incursion. In groups, students will rotate through several stations exploring the histories, facts and design variables across a range of toy themes. Students will discover how toys have evolved by exploring their movements, cultural significance and the materials they are made from.
By adopting a play-based learning approach, students’ imaginations will be engaged, and their sharing skills will be encouraged as they encounter examples of toys from as early as 2000 BC – the oldest toys in the world!
By adjusting this incursion to suit your focus needs, our qualified teachers will guide all students through each learning activity, prompting them to observe, investigate, communicate and reflect along the way.
Scope of Learning Outcomes
Together we’ll select the learning outcomes that best suit your class and grade level curriculum requirements. Examples include;
- Introduce how science and technology improve the quality and fun of toys.
- Explore the history and culture of different toys.
- Understand the fundamental connections between design & movement.
- Identify the basic properties of various materials used to make toys
- Discuss different types of toys, how they are made and how they work.
- Discuss the importance of various materials in the construction of multiple toys.
- Discuss how the design and focus on various toys have evolved.
- Communicate and discuss observations and conclusions.
Incursion Information & Requirements
- Duration – 90 minutes. This will be structured around your bell times.
- Group size – 42 students maximum per session (30 students maximum for grade foundation).
- Space requirements – An unfurnished hall is required
- Equipment requirements – 8 trestle tables (or the equivalent) is ideal.
- Booking requirements – A minimum 75% deposit made 7 days before the date of booking.
- Setup time –We will arrive one hour before the start time to set up.
- Teacher presence – Teachers must be present during the session.
Our qualified teachers design all incursions to be adaptive and differentiated so that each learning outcome aligns with Victorian, New South Wales and Australian Curriculum requirements.
Cannot See Your Focus Links?
Should your curriculum or key learning area not be listed here, please give us a call. One of our qualified teachers would be happy to make the adjustments required to meet your needs.