Experience the fundamental properties of motion and how these influence the design and performance of your very own Billy Cart.
Build teamwork & problem-solving with our iconic hands-on learning incursion.
In this action-packed 90-minute incursion, students investigate motion’s fundamental forces and properties and learn how these influence design and performance. Students consider the impact of design elements on performance and critique, evaluating and justifying these decisions. Students will be challenged to work in teams to follow set design procedures with complexity adjusted to suit their abilities. By adapting this incursion to suit your focus needs, our qualified teachers will guide all students through each learning activity, prompting them to evaluate, justify and reflect along the way.
Scope of Learning Outcomes
Together we’ll select the learning outcomes that best suit class abilities and curriculum requirements. Examples include;
- Identify and analyse the influence of friction, gravity and inertia.
- Understand and apply design procedures in the construction of basic machines.
- Test and develop design ideas and processes.
- Identify and select strategies that best meet the requirements of a task.
- Understand the role of teamwork and leadership in achieving set goals.
- Discuss prior knowledge of motion and how objects move.
- Explore the composition of various construction materials (metal, rope, wood, plastic and rubber).
- Practice and apply personal and social skills while undertaking a range of roles in physical activity by driving Billy Carts around a course.
- Explore the property of inertia and the impact of not wearing seat belts.
- Apply basic design principles and investigate how they influence performance.
Incursion Information & Requirements
- Duration – 90 minutes. This will be structured around your bell times.
- Group size – 32 students maximum per session (approximately).
- Space requirements – An unfurnished hall is required as a backup option in the event of bad weather.
- Payment requirements – A 75% deposit is to be made 7 days before the incursion.
- Setup time – We will arrive one hour before the start time to set up.
- Teacher presence – Teachers must be present during the session.
Our qualified teachers have designed all incursions to be adaptive and differentiated so that each learning outcome aligns with Victorian, New South Wales and Australian Curriculum requirements.
Cannot See Your Focus Links?
Should your curriculum or key learning area not be listed here, please give us a call. One of our qualified teachers would be happy to make the adjustments required to meet your needs.